Saturday, January 19, 2008

Knitting in a winter wonderland

I went to see Cloverfield this morning, and when I walked outside the theater...... SNOW!!!!! (OK, not too big a surprise. we knew it was coming.)

It doesn't snow all that often here in the Atlanta area, and it's snowed twice in less than a week. I'm a transplanted Yankee, so I don't realize how much I miss it until it snows again. It also gave me a chance to take the new camera outside and play a little bit. Here's our house from the street.


Here are some very unhappy Daffodils. The variety is 'Rijnvelds Early Sensation'. I had them in bloom before Christmas last year, so I guess they were a little late this year.



Here's the Japanese Camellia bush on the side of the house. I'm not sure of the variety name, but it's an early bloomer, and I usually don't make it around to this side of the house to see it until it's done blooming.




OK, so I'm in for the rest of the day. I've got knitting to do. I talked to my Mom this morning and found out that my niece, although she is not yet in labor, is dilated to 3 cm. The baby blanket? I'm not quite halfway finished.



I have been knitting. I finished my hand warmers, inspired by the movie Sweeny Todd. I used 1 entire ball of Rowan Cocoon, and by that I mean I had about 18" of yarn to spare. I just made up the pattern, and after I figured out the thumb gusset, they weren't too difficult.

These should do the trick if I need to go back outside anytime today. As for now, I'm going to put my feet up, sit by the fire, and knit some mindless garter stitch. Gotta rest up. Valentine's Day is just a few weeks away.

6 comments:

Hockey Mom said...

We saw Cloverfield last night. We were sitting to close to the screen at first and started getting all woozy! Once we moved back, we felt much better.

I bet they do a sequel "Cloverfield Exposed" or something like that!

Mouse said...

Another transplanted Yankee over here.. totally thrilled about the snow!

Knits4Bears said...

We're in for the night too. The hand warmers sure turned out nice!

Janice in GA said...

So how did you like Cloverfield? We thought about seeing it yesterday, but we saw The Golden Compass instead.

Knit Witch said...

Southern born and bred here so I think the snow is fun as long as I don't have to get on the roads with all these crazy folk around here!! Love the gloves! They look great!

Claudia said...

Hmmm. I guess Johnny should get you to knit him some mittens next time. They look great!!! Love your snow flowers. I miss the snow, too. Did you get the blanket finished? ;-)