Monday, September 3, 2007

Home, home again....

In the immortal words of Dorothy, "There's no place like home!". (although, I've been to Kansas. Oz didn't look so bad.... I'm just sayin') Just glad to be back home, and outta the car! Ten hours of actual driving time today, (eleven on the road), is way too much. Even though there were not nearly as many tractor trailers on the road today as the day we left, traffic was extremely heavy with Labor Day travellers.

So, did I let anyone else drive?
NO.

Am I complaining?
NO.

Did I knit?
YES!

In front of Dad?
NO. (although it probably would have been okay)


Every morning when I woke up, and every night before I turned in, I knitted a little bit. (enough to keep my sanity) I started a scarf before I left, using a black tweedy yarn, and learned the brioche stitch! What a FUN stitch! If you don't know it, learn it. I think it's in Barbara Walker's first treasury, and EZ's Knitting Without Tears. I found the later a bit more helpful, as there were pictures to guide me through the weird yarn wrap. She uses it to knit a hat, (knitted flat, and stitched up later), but I cast on less stitches
and did a scarf. It makes a very thick, soft, cushy, deeply ribbed fabric. Unfortunately, this stitch really uses up the yarn, and I may need to buy more if I want my scarf to be more than three feet long. (which I do)

So anyway, I ate way too much potato salad, watched football, (WVU won!), grilled steaks, (new grill!), did lots of visiting, and in general, had a pretty good time. Got to see the whole family. My grand niece is adorable! My niece found out that the next baby is going to be a boy! YAY! I was getting kind of sick of pink. Now I get to knit some baby boy stuff. (pattern suggestions? anyone?) Daddy wants to know if I can knit a blankie with a large WV in the customary school colors.

Not sure how I'm gonna knit that, but what can I say? Mountaineer fans through and through.

I've got a busy week ahead of me, (yarn shop staff meeting, guild meeting, co-workers on vacation this week, etc...), so I hope to see y'all sometime this week.

Now I'm off to sleep in my OWN bed!



4 comments:

Jane said...

Welcome home! Hope to see you Tuesday evening.

Knits4Bears said...

Here's your chance to learn intarsia on the WVU blanket. It's easy to learn and will work out perfect for this.
Welcome home and see you soon.

Mouse said...

I would think that a simple knitted block blanket with a few charted squares of WVU logo would be cute!
Glad to hear that you survived the trip.. and now I'm hungry for potato salad.

Anonymous said...

You could do a baby blanket with a WV in the corner. Do you know the webpage where you upload a jpg and it turns it into an intarsia pattern? Here is the link:
http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/
Love potato salad, too. One of these days I'll make some of my GERMAN potato salad (original recipe from Mom) to bring to Knitch. :-)